Essex County - tornado warning until 6:44

I'm sure everyone got this message on their phone or TV.


Also on the network news programs.


Not coming this way. Near Caldwell headed towards Bloomfield.

The alert system operates at the County level, so all of Essex got the alert


We don't often see purple on the radar.


Just received this. 


Same storm.  It's moving ENE.  Between Montclair and Bloomfield now


max_weisenfeld said:

Not coming this way. Near Caldwell headed towards Bloomfield.

The alert system operates at the County level, so all of Essex got the alert

 Thanks, Max! You are my hyperlocal go-to guy.


Warning was just extended until 6:44 pm.  Glad it is not coming this way.  Worried about those who are in its path.


We got the warning in Union County, too. This weather lately is just so bizarre. 


I think a tornado touched down in lambertville/ new Hope area a few minutes ago. 
I can’t tell if this is just a rotating cloud, but this if from the Trenton area.


That photo is awful - and yet stunningly beautiful at the same time. 


I've seen tornadoes in Texas.  That color in the center is alarming.


When my wife got the alert I came on MOL but this thread had not been started. We went downstairs anyway. We called Maplewood Police and they knew nothing about it. By then it was almost 6. Then we got the alert in effect until 6:30 but TV weather was saying it was south of here.


What's the best way to keep informed with these kinds of weather events? This thread was great, but I wouldn't expect one for every storm. Growing up in the midwest, where tornadoes were a thing, many local radio and tv stations were really invested in closely tracking and broadcasting news around severe weather, so it was very easy to go down to the basement and keep abreast of the situation. Now I don't have cable, and am still thrown off by the idea of tornadoes on this side of the Appalachians... Do any of the local tv stations do a good job with weather events (and do they broadcast on their websites)?


PVW - If you have a smartphone - download the FEMA app.  As Max pointed out, the alerts are by county so it is not perfectly accurate.  But better safe than sorry!


Jaytee said:

I think a tornado touched down in lambertville/ new Hope area a few minutes ago. 
I can’t tell if this is just a rotating cloud, but this if from the Trenton area.

 Did you take that shot?


PVW said:

What's the best way to keep informed with these kinds of weather events? This thread was great, but I wouldn't expect one for every storm. Growing up in the midwest, where tornadoes were a thing, many local radio and tv stations were really invested in closely tracking and broadcasting news around severe weather, so it was very easy to go down to the basement and keep abreast of the situation. Now I don't have cable, and am still thrown off by the idea of tornadoes on this side of the Appalachians... Do any of the local tv stations do a good job with weather events (and do they broadcast on their websites)?

 ABC was closely following up to four distinct storm cells showing rotation for the duration of the event.  Other local stations were likely doing the same.  


sbenois said:

 Did you take that shot?

 No, my friend who lives in lambertville did. 


PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1023 AM EDT FRI JUL 30 2021

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 07/29/2021 TORNADO EVENT...

...EF0 TORNADO CONFIRMED IN VERONA, NJ

START LOCATION...VERONA PARK PATH AND HATHAWAY LANE
END LOCATION...VERONA PARK PLAYGROUND
DATE...JULY 29, 2021
ESTIMATED TIME...5:54 TO 5:57 PM
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...65 MPH 
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...50 YDS OR LESS 
PATH LENGTH...0.35 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...40.821084/-74.245932 
INTERMEDIATE LAT/LON...40.823601/-74.245471 
ENDING LAT/LON...40.826118/-74.245009
*  FATALITIES...0
*  INJURIES...0

...SUMMARY...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM CONFIRMED A BRIEF  
EF0 TORNADO IN VERONA, ESSEX COUNTY, NJ. THE TORNADO LIKELY 
TOUCHED DOWN INSIDE THE MONTCLAIR GOLF CLUB AS IT APPROACHED THE 
EASTERN END OF HATHAWAY LANE WHERE IT KNOCKED DOWN A LARGE OAK 
TREE. BETWEEN HATHAWAY LANE AND VALHALIA WAY...THREE FULL TREES 
AND 10-20 LARGE LIMBS WERE FELLED. A TREE FELL ON A HOUSE ON 
SYLVAN ROAD AND WAS LIKELY TOTALED AS IT WAS KNOCKED OFF ITS 
FOUNDATION. THE TORNADO LIKELY QUICKLY DISSIPATED AS IT MOVED INTO
THE NORTHEAST PORTION OF THE VERONA PARK.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE ESSEX COUNTY 
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SHERIFFS'S OFFICE, BROADCAST MEDIA, SPOTTERS
WHO SHARED VIDEO AND PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE, AND THE GENERAL 
PUBLIC WHO SHARD REPORTS THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA, IN ASSISTING IN THE
SURVEY AND FORMULATING THIS PRELIMINARY DAMAGE ASSESSMENT.

&&

EF SCALE: THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTO THE
FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

EF0...WEAK......65 TO 85 MPH
EF1...WEAK......86 TO 110 MPH
EF2...STRONG....111 TO 135 MPH
EF3...STRONG....136 TO 165 MPH
EF4...VIOLENT...166 TO 200 MPH
EF5...VIOLENT...>200 MPH

NOTE: THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT
TO CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN 
NWS STORM DATA.

Jaytee said:

I think a tornado touched down in lambertville/ new Hope area a few minutes ago. 
I can’t tell if this is just a rotating cloud, but this if from the Trenton area.

 A tornado did touch down there and that is 100% a rotating supercell. In fact, that’s the area of the storm that would’ve produced the tornado. Doesn’t look like it’s doing it in the picture though. 


Not sure why that posted four times. Can you delete @jamie


Jaytee said:

I think a tornado touched down in lambertville/ new Hope area a few minutes ago. 
I can’t tell if this is just a rotating cloud, but this if from the Trenton area.

 Looks like where they build the new traffic circles.


This happened  one mile from me on Thursday evening….

“They also said another tornado touched down in the Waretown section of Ocean Township and continued across Barnegat Bay as a waterspout. It then became a tornado again as it swept across the High Bar Harbor section of Long Beach Township and Barnegat Light on Long Beach Island — where winds strengthened up to 115 mph, ranking as an EF-2.”

years ago, on a car trip across the country, hearing warnings over the radio, we found shelter in a roadside motel in Hastings, Nebraska and watched as the clouds loomed overhead, looking like bunches of grapes. Next morning we learned a small town just two miles from where we were had been flattened.

Edited to add: when I wrote about that still vivid in my mind description. I got out my photo album to see if we still had photos — here they are, 


WxNut2.0 said:

 A tornado did touch down there and that is 100% a rotating supercell. In fact, that’s the area of the storm that would’ve produced the tornado. Doesn’t look like it’s doing it in the picture though. 

 Yes. Between Washington crossing and lambertville. And my sister in Bensalem just barely missed the other one. Not to mention my very good buddy in Tom’s river who just moved down there one year ago was getting anxiety attacks. It was a very scary night last Thursday. 




In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.